How To Make Window Cleaner
The allure of crystal-clear windows can’t be overstated. Beyond aesthetic appeal, they’re the gateways to inviting sunbeams that energize our living spaces. As the world tilts towards DIY, we’re left wondering: can homemade window solutions truly rival commercial ones? This guide will discuss different options, and answer the question: what is the best homemade window cleaning solution.
The Allure of Homemade:
Economics is the most persuasive argument. Opting for a homemade cleaner can cut costs significantly. Think about it: those store-bought solutions, while effective, can accumulate substantial expenses over time.
Environmental concerns are pushing many towards greener options. Commercial cleaners typically are packaged in single-use plastics, adding to environmental degradation. Plus, the chemical footprint of these solutions isn’t the kindest to Mother Earth.
Health and safety also take center stage. Many commercial solutions contain chemicals that might not sit well with everyone, causing irritations or allergic reactions.
Ingredients to Trust:
Water is the fundamental base. But let’s jazz it up a bit.
White vinegar does double duty. Not only does it effectively combat grime, but it also acts as a natural disinfectant. It’s no wonder that this pantry item is a favorite among DIY enthusiasts.
Lemon juice brings in the zest. Beyond its cleaning prowess, it infuses your space with an invigorating aroma, transforming cleaning into a therapeutic ritual.
Cornstarch, the underdog, is the secret ingredient to banish those frustrating streaks, ensuring clarity.
Lastly, our champion: Dawn dish soap. This versatile household item proves its mettle by taking on even the toughest of stains with ease.
1. Dawn Dish Soap Wonder: Dawn dish soap stands tall in the cleaning aisle and for good reason. A concoction of this with water can be your go-to for daily cleanups or deep cleaning sessions.
2. Vinegar Vigor: For those tough spots and old stains, vinegar provides the muscle. Its strength does come with a potent scent, but the trade-off is worth it.
3. Zesty Lemon Freshness: Lemon’s citric acid breaks down dirt, while the pleasant aroma uplifts your mood.
4. Cornstarch’s Clear Magic: Its consistency, when mixed with water, makes for a solution that clings to the window, providing a thorough clean.
Choosing the Best:
So What is the best homemade window cleaning solution? While each formula boasts its strengths, Dawn dish soap remains unparalleled. Versatile, easily accessible, and gentle on surfaces, it’s the gold standard in homemade window cleaning.
- 2 cups of distilled or filtered water
- 1/4 teaspoon of Dawn dish soap (or similar liquid dishwashing detergent)
- Optional: A drop or two of lemon essential oil for a pleasant fragrance and added grease-cutting power.
- Pour the 2 cups of distilled or filtered water into a clean spray bottle.
- Add the 1/4 teaspoon of Dawn dish soap to the bottle.
- If you’re using lemon essential oil, add a drop or two now.
- Secure the spray bottle’s cap and shake gently to mix the ingredients well.
- To use, spray the solution onto the window surface and wipe away with a microfiber cloth, surgical towel, or squeegee. Ensure you wipe the window dry to prevent streaks.
Remember, the key to this solution’s effectiveness lies in its simplicity. The Dawn dish soap breaks down dirt and grease, while the distilled or filtered water ensures there are no impurities that could leave residues or streaks on your windows. The optional lemon essential oil not only provides a fresh scent but also has natural grease-cutting properties.
Tools of the Trade:
A master painter needs more than just paint; the brushes play an integral role. Similarly, while the cleaning solution is crucial, the tools you use amplify or diminish its efficacy.
- Microfiber Cloths: They promise no lint or residue.
- Newspapers: Old-school yet effective, with slight reservations about ink transfer.
- Surgical Towels: Think of these as the luxury option in cleaning. Precision, absorption, and durability in one package.
2. Essential Tools:
- Mop (or Strip Washer): Perfect for pre-cleaning, especially for heavily soiled windows.
- Squeegees: The final touch for a crystal-clear window.
- Extension Poles: Never miss a spot, even if it’s way up high.
Pairing Solutions with Tools:
Synergy is essential. For instance:
- Dawn Dish Soap & Surgical Towels: Together, they tackle even the most stubborn spots.
- Vinegar Mix & Squeegee: This combo ensures not a trace of grime remains.
- Cornstarch Blend & Mop: A match ensuring thorough coverage.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How often should I clean my windows? Ideally, once every two months. However, external factors like location or weather might demand more frequent cleaning.
- Can I mix different solutions? While some ingredients can be mixed, always do a patch test to ensure no unwanted reactions occur.
- How do I store leftover solutions? Use sealed containers and store in a cool, dry place. Remember to label them!
In the realm of window cleaning, homemade solutions have solidified their standing. They’re affordable, environmentally conscious, and customizable. With the right tools, especially our recommended surgical towels and squeegees, pristine windows are just a cleaning session away. Hopefully this article helped you decide what the best homemade window cleaning solution is.
what if you decide that cleaning your own windows isn’t all that fun, and decide to hire a professional? We hope you will give Hydro Force a call, and get a free estimate. Hydro Force is licensed and insured, we have the equipment and expertise to get your windows clean safely. So if you are in Cumming, GA or the surrounding areas, give us a call! Also, we definitely use Dawn dish soap in our buckets!